March is serious business

To be blunt, February was a rough month for me professionally and personally, which lead to a three-week depression that left me drained, hyperemotional and not feeling like myself. Running took a backseat, since I physically could not get myself up and out the door in the mornings, and all I had any interest in doing once I got home from work was going straight to sleep.

My cat took advantage of the mom snuggles, so at least there was a silver lining for one of us. And I must say she makes a wonderful space heater. My bedroom is always so cold and miserable in winter.

I spent this past Friday night at my mom’s house so she and I could spend some time together, as well as give me a chance to get some downtime out of Columbus. I got home later Saturday evening, exhausted but also glad that we got our time together, full of Girl Scout cookies, shopping and having a helluva time driving around my neck of the woods to find a place to eat.

Incredibly enough, the traffic in the suburban Dayton area was worse than Columbus. Which is something I never thought I’d say.

It’s taken awhile to piece myself back together and I’m not done yet, but it is getting a little easier to get up and go each day. Yesterday was March 1st, and after an abysmal mileage in February – I haven’t even updated my calendar, if that gives you all any indication of how off February was – I decided I wasn’t going to start off March on a crappy foot. It also happened to be a warmer, sunny day, which I’m taking advantage of as much as possible.

10 miles were completed yesterday, weaving through Bexley’s streets and neighborhoods. I didn’t feel up to going downtown and wanted a calmer route, so I ran all over Bexley to only see other pet parents walking their puppies (no matter how old or big a dog is, they’re all puppies in my book) and a few squirrels.

I passed a few other runners, including a group of women running in the opposite direction of me. They waved at me and I waved back to them, which is comforting to me. I run alone, since that’s my time to decompress and have introspective chats and I’m pretty protective other that. But with the way I was feeling in February, a stranger’s kindness made a huge difference in how my running – and day in general – went.

Slowly but surely the feelings dissolved on Sunday. It doesn’t take much for me to fall into the myopia trap during high-stress times, and on the flip side, it doesn’t take much for me to reconfirm that there’s so much going on in the world around me and I get to participate in it. Those 10 miles were peaceful … even with the lower back chafing I discovered later on during my shower.

I’m optimistic March is going to get better. I decided to sign up for the Arnold 5k on a whim, which is this upcoming Sunday, and the Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon is at the end of this month. Spring is almost here, and there’s a sense of renewal in the air. I’ve been cleaning my apartment up and bringing out my soft pastels. There’s a new wreath on my door, a combination of lilacs, pinks and yellows with purple butterflies. And my allergies are in full swing … which is something I’m grateful for, after what I’ve been feeling physically.

Onward with March, friends.

– Allison

P.S. I included a picture of the Columbus skyline I took on Feb. 22nd. I’m bringing sunshine to this blog one way or another!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s